Nepalgo was started more than 10 years ago in Tumblr, and over the years it has grown into the site it is now today. Those were the glory days with no standardization; line breaks didn’t work, the transliterations were all over the place, the images were all super low resolution among other things. I remember a lot of funny and memorable things as well, such as receiving my first ‘fan mail’, a lot of good and weird questions, and once a request to translate an entire muti-page word document containing someone’s obviously private conversations.
Now we move on to a new chapter of Nepalgo: this site obviously still has a lot to grow, and though I had a short flirt with wordpress.com (not .org), it ultimately wasn’t meant to be. So now, thanks to all my viewers and lovely people who supported this website, we finally are a self-hosted website!
Self-hosting means the following:
- We make and run the website ourselves. This ranges from backend coding to front page delivery.
- Since we run our own website and host our own content, we are free to do anything we want, whatever we want.
- This freedom of content means that more advanced features like audio and video (in house) are supported. Click the audio button for an audio demo
- We also have our own email now 😀
An example of inline video support in the website:
Below, you can find a sample table with audio:
What we did and are working on
Our website isn’t perfect yet, but it’s getting there! Basically:
- We did a LOT of coding. I probably spent more time taking care of legal stuff, typefaces and CSS while I had someone work on the loading scripts and computer-y stuff.
- We updated all the URLs to make it more logical. Now, everything is split into categories, with appropriate headings and other formatting improvements.*
- We now have table of contents that scroll with the article.*
- A lot of typo and content corrections with an updated transliteration scheme.*
- We are still in the process of adding more chapters and updating old ones to include more information and content. For example, we added an example complete conjugation chart for verb conjugations (currently still a work in progress) which you can see an example of here.
We are still working on a lot of things, so stay tuned. 😉 You can view my chapter update progress here.
*not all articles have them…yet
What you can expect
Basically, you can expect the following:
- Better, richer content. Audio, video and exercises will be coming soon. 🙂
- Better privacy. We have disabled all third party content.
- Updates. We now have a blog, where you will find regular updates, news and stuff about Nepalgo.
- No ads or interruptions. This site runs by donations and contributions. (P.S. if you want to and consent to being listed (first name or only initials) in a page for benefactors, please email me)
We have a lot of things planned for the future. Thank you once again to my dear readers who have continued to support this website and project all these years. Dherai dherai dhanyavād sabaijanā-lāī and I hope you will enjoy what’s to come still. 🙂
4 thoughts on “#1: What’s New”
Thanks for the effort!
Thank you kanekikun for your kind words 🙂
Nepalgo has been my primary resource for learning the Nepali language, I am excited for the future of this website! Thanks to the team and all their effort 🙂
I am glad that Nepalgo has been your primary resource in learning Nepali. I hope you will like what’s more to come 🙂